[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  lutz dot niederer at gmx dot net
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Networking interfaces/monowall disappearing
 Date:  Thu, 30 Apr 2009 11:52:57 +0200
Hi,

I am running the latest beta 1.3b16 on an Alix 2d3 (3 Port) board with the latest BIOS installed.

I see a really strange behaviour with the networking interfaces on the Alix.  The interfaces seem to
disappear or maybe the monowall crashes.  Without any notice suddenly packets do not come through
the monowall.  Neither from inside nor from outside.  It looks as if the monowall blocks all
packets, even if I see some blinking lights on the Alix.  I then have to cycle power and then it
works again.  Sometines for minutes, sometines for hours but not more than 1-2 days.  I cannot see
any dropped packets or errors on the interfaces everything looks fine and then suddenly the monowall
is unreachable.  It often starts with a behaviour where it looks like the machine behind the
monowall reacts really sluggish and after a few more packets the monowall disappears.  I already
tried device polling but this seem to make things even worse.

Another strange behaviour I see is that if I reboot the server that is connected to the monowall the
monowall interface that is connected to that server is not reachable - I have to power cycle the
monowall.  Please note that what I said above is regading all interfaces not like this where only
one interface is not reachable.

I have no clue what's happening here.  I had great connectivity and no problems for years.  It
started suddenly and out of the blue.  I cannot remember if I did a FW update immediately before the
problems came up because I do these updates if they are available and I see them.

Did anybody else see such things before?  Or does anybody have an idea what's going on and what I
can do?  I already thought of a faulty HW but how can I find out?

Thanks for any hints!
-lutzn

--

http://www.gmx.net/de/go/multimessenger01