[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Adam Armstrong <lists at memetic dot org>
 To:  Brian Lloyd <brian dash wb6rqn at lloyd dot com>
 Cc:  Michel Servaes <michel at mcmc dot be>, Monowall User List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] ipv6, a little off topic
 Date:  Sun, 03 May 2009 02:02:56 +0100
Brian Lloyd wrote:
> On Apr 11, 2009, at 1:16 PM, Michel Servaes wrote:
>
>> I also have no clue on what advantages IPv6 can give me,
>
> You can switch to IPv6 internally and let your gateway do IPv4 to IPv6
> translation for now. You can then tunnel your IPv6 over IPv4. Don't
> expect ISPs to embrace IPv6 as they are making money renting IPv4
> address space and a wholesale switch to IPv6 would eliminate that
> revenue stream.
That isn't the reason for lack of IPv6 adoption. The ISPs could do the
same with IPv6 address space too, and probably will. The real problem is
that too customers are asking for IPv6, and too few service providers
are capable of supporting it when customers do ask. It's very much a
chicken and egg situation. IPv6 is almost entirely useless unless
everyone is already doing IPv6!
> Right now I am looking at whether it is possible for me to convert
> completely over to IPv6 transparently to my users. The maturation of
> IPv6 in m0n0wall is significant as most of my networks have m0n0wall
> in front of them.
You can't. Therein lies the problem!

All of your customers would need proper IPv6 connectivity  before you
could drop IPv4. Even then, would all your new customers be capable?

IPv4 and IPv6 will almost certainly co-exist for a long, long time. It
won't be a migration, conversion nor upgrade.

adam.