[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  David Burgess <apt dot get at gmail dot com>
 To:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] console over modem?
 Date:  Mon, 18 May 2009 22:23:25 -0600
On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 9:56 PM, Mike Nichols <mike at myownsoho dot net> wrote:
> Rob Whitney (sp?) gave great plans on integrating a serial connection
> over cat5 to a wrt box.  I'm sure a small bit of solder and $6.78 in
> parts from the 'ol Radio Shack could probably do the trick for you :)
>
> i'm sure ppl will agree you are over thinking this.

If I understood you you're saying I should just construct a really
long null modem cable using cat5. Interesting.

My searches aren't turning up anything by Rob Whitney on the topic,
but I'll keep looking. Anybody have any pointers on building a 15m
serial cable, perhaps from cat5 or cat6? I guess I could use the
charts here (http://www.zytrax.com/tech/layer_1/cables/tech_rs232.htm#rj45)
to match the pinouts on the db9.

I suppose if I had a couple of those Cisco RS232--RJ45 cables I could
plug into the existing cat6 infrastructure. Maybe they weren't just
being silly when they designed those things :)

db