[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jonathan De Graeve - M0n0wall <m0n0wall at esstec dot be>
 To:  lutz dot niederer at gmx dot net
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Captive Portal: Maximum concurrent connections
 Date:  Tue, 19 May 2009 21:03:22 +0200
Enable traffic shaper, set the per-user bandwidth limit in the Captive
Portal setup page

J.

lutz dot niederer at gmx dot net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question regarding the captive portal.  Where can I set the maximum number of users that
are allowed to be concurrently logged on via the captive portal?  As I understood, the one below
only sets the number of connections to the login page, correct?

> Captive Portal: Maximum concurrent connections
> This setting limits the number of concurrent connections to the captive portal HTTP(S) server.
This does not set how many users can be logged in to the captive portal, but rather how many users
can load the portal page or authenticate at the same time! Default is 4 connections per client IP
address, with a total maximum of 16 connections.

> Thr reason is that the users coming in via the captive portal should not use more than a specific
bandwidth (done with per-user bandwidth) and in sum use no more than a specific bandwidth.  One way
would be to restrict the max number of user each having a bandwidth restriction.  The best would be
to set a per-user bandwidth and have a setting for the overall captive portal bandwidth, but I did
not find that setting.