[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Aaron Cherman" <aaronc at morad dot ab dot ca>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  SNMP OID for Interface IP Address
 Date:  Wed, 20 May 2009 15:54:25 -0600
Is there any way to use SNMP to poll an OID to find an interface's IP address?

I use a simple ADSL connection for a backup for our alarms.  So I open up our main m0n0wall (on
fiber) to allow pings from the ADSL m0n0wall, but it uses DHCP and every once in a while the ISP
screws with things and we end up getting assigned a new address (on a new subnet too).  Of course
the fiber m0n0wall won't permit pings from that address and it appears to be down.  I have to redo
the permit rule and routing info for the new subnet/address.  I'd like to monitor the IP address on
the WAN interface and if it changes I can trigger an alert.

Any ideas?  I done and SNMP walk and do see the address listed, but it appears in a table with the
row ID being the address itself.  Weird.

Thanks in advance.

Aaron