[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lyle Giese <lyle at lcrcomputer dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] NAT - port forwarding from the non-WAN subnet
 Date:  Sat, 06 Jun 2009 12:55:57 -0500
David Burgess wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 8:07 AM, Lyle Giese<lyle at lcrcomputer dot net> wrote:
>
>> David Burgess wrote:

>>> sis1 and sis2 aren't on the same subnet, are they?
>>>
>>> Let's have a look at your routing table (go to exec.php and do
>>> "netstat -r"). If you're using NAT then there shouldn't be any
>>> security issue with posting actual IP addresses that aren't on WAN.
>>>
>>> db
>>>

>> Here's the numerical version. I guess if I am doing things right, there
>> are no security issues<GRIN>!
>>
>>> $ netstat -rn
>>> Routing tables
>>>
>>> Internet:
>>> Destination        Gateway            Flags    Refs      Use  Netif Expire
>>> default            209.112.68.1       UGSc        1     3510    ng0
>>> 127.0.0.1          127.0.0.1          UH          0        0    lo0
>>> 192.168.250        link#2             UC         12        0   sis1
>>> 192.168.250.4      00:e0:4c:03:55:3a  UHLW        0      296   sis1    561
>>> 209.112.68.1       209.112.71.50      UH          1        0    ng0
>>> 209.112.71.50      lo0                UHS         0        0    lo0
>>> 209.172.152        link#3             UC          6        0   sis2
>>> 209.172.152.1      00:08:e3:13:5c:00  UHLW        0       18   sis2   1176
>>> 209.172.152.239    00:e0:81:25:ba:4f  UHLW        0        2   sis2   1087
>>>

>> On the private net, I have an allow rule for all proto types from the
>> public subnet and on the public subnet to allow all traffic from the
>> private subnet.  I added a rule on the Cisco router connected to the
>> T1's to forward 192.168.250 to the public ip address of the Soekris on sis2.
>>
>> Still I can ping and traceroute from the two subnets through the
>> Soekris, but it would appear that tcp or udp packets don't make it
>> through intact.  While I had this unit online with the DSL, I tried to
>> ssh into the name server I have on the private net(port forwarded ssh
>> from the WAN to the name server)  and from a BSD host, I got a bad
>> packet error.  But I could use dig via  UDP to query the name server.
>> And outbound traffic to the Internet looked normal and I was able to
>> connect via a VPN to a remote office.
>>

> I'm not sure I get what you're doing. ng0 is connected to a DSL modem
> with a public IP and sis2 is connected to T1 lines with another public
> IP? m0n0wall doesn't do multiWAN, so if that's what you're attempting
> then that would explain the problem. Linux, as you know, will do it,
> and so will pfsense (a more fully-featured m0n0wall derivative).
>
> db

That may explain things, but no I am not wanting multiWAN.  I just want
the private subnet on sis1 to have direct access to the public ip'd
servers on sis2 without going out over the Internet.  The Soekris units
I have only have 64Mb of CF memory, I think pfsense wants 128Mb.  I have
to do more testing, but the biggest issue is access to the printer on
the private subnet for the servers on the public subnet.

Lyle