[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] SBC Integrated in Dell Server - Info?
 Date:  Tue, 09 Jun 2009 23:19:07 -0500
Melvin wrote:
> Lee Sharp wrote:
>> James McKeand wrote:

>>> That would be a good solution for some form of virtualization? Two
>>> NICs - Two virtual switches. I think I read something about doing
>>> that with MS's Hyper-V Server.

>> That means your entire (virtual) network is only as secure as your VM.
>> Not always a good thing...

> OK, but the virtues/pitfalls of the practice aside, the OP was
> commenting on the fact that there was actually what appeared to be a
> full SBC solution sharing the case / rack space with the server with
> nothing said about virtualization.  They actually bypassed that entire
> issue by providing physically (at least electrically) separate hardware.

I agree.  That solution is slick.  And, if you had a big enough
powersupply in the server, you could pull power from it directly and
loose the pigtail as well.  Very cool.

> And I've seen no response from anyone who can tell us anything about
> where that slick little NIC interface board mounted to the slot might
> have come from.  I don't even have a clue as to how to describe it to
> start Googling for one. :)  Anyone?

I would just get a rack mount panel and break out 4 ports.  Then hot
glue it to a slot cover after cutting holes.  Then cut standard Ethernet
cables in half and punch them into the rack mount panel.

			Lee