[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Sierchio <kudzu at tenebras dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Traffic Shaping with WFQ
 Date:  Tue, 16 Jun 2009 12:24:20 -0700
Dan Dill wrote:

> My question is, if I have a rule that just dumps traffic directly into the
> pipe, is fair queuing using for that traffic?  Or to use fair queuing should
> I create a single 'default' queue and then put traffic into it.
>
> Another way to phrase this would be what are the default scheduling methods
> for traffic going directly from a rule to a pipe.  Also the scheduling
> method when using just a single queue and pipe would be helpful information.
>
> Below are screenshots of my setup.  Thanks in advance.

This is old, but a good intro to the concepts

	http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/ip_dummynet/

There is a default queue for a pipe, but no way to use WFQ2+ without explicitly
defining queues with weights.  Having a single queue does not seem particularly
useful to me, since the purpose is to assign different weights to traffic sharing
the same pipe.