[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Sierchio <kudzu at tenebras dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Traffic Shaping with WFQ
 Date:  Tue, 16 Jun 2009 13:41:02 -0700
Dan Dill wrote:

[Dan - I subscribe to the list, Cc: not needed.]

> *"If you want all machines to share evenly a single link, you should use
> instead: *
>
> *    ipfw add queue 1 ip from any to 10.1.2.0/24
>     ipfw queue 1 config weight 5 pipe 2 mask dst-ip 0x000000ff
>     ipfw pipe 2 config bw 300Kbit/s
> "*
>
> That's what I need I think.  I would only have a single queue but I want to
> ensure that bandwidth is shared equally among different connections within
> that queue (and not allowing one connection to use the entire link at the
> expense of other connections).  And a single queue seems to accomplish that
> (via WFQ within the queue) whereas direct to the pipe does not according to
> you.
>
> Is that right?

Almost - by using a mask specifier, you are creating dynamic queues.  A
new queue will be instantiated for each matching flow, with the same
parameters as the original queue.  Yes, this is a way of ensuring that
each flow will fairly share the bandwidth with the other flows in the
same queue.  You could still have different queues on the same pipe
with different weights.

The FreeBSD man page for ipfw is useful, if too long.

	http://tinyurl.com/mojeqy