[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Mohammed Ismail" <m dot ismael at gmail dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  FW: [m0n0wall] Traffic Shaping with WFQ
 Date:  Wed, 17 Jun 2009 01:41:34 +0300
Sorry the 1st replay sent by error incomplete...

So again.

I was thinking like that in the beginning until I understood that it was
easy rules.

I have bunch of m0n0wall devices getting monitored via SNMP using Project
Observer.

At certain moments I get reading huge traffic passing through LAN, WAN , NG0
as pppoe interface.

I having these rules in traffic shaper

If    Proto       Source      Destination       Target      Description

WAN

Out   *           10.0.0.0/8 *                 128 Up      Host Upload

WAN

In    *           *           10.0.0.0/8        512 Down    Host Download

With Pipes

No.  Bandwidth  Delay       PLR  Queue       Mask        Description

1     512 Kbit/s                               destination 512kb/s Down

2     128 Kbit/s                               source      128 kb/s Up

Now I thought I might limit m0n0wall to use only 3500 kb/s which is 4mbps
adsl line fit with my isp ..

Limiting through LAN limiting all traffic through a single pipe with total
download/upload speed..

Now if it is right.

Do I need to put the total dn/up rules up  or if they are like below, would
work too ?

I thought that the huge traffic I have been talking about, passes through
the traffic shaper but with no rules to match, so I was not telling m0n0wall
to limit total traffic to my adsl line, I thought the modem is physically
limiting the speed so no need for that, but I guess I was wrong.

And if I put the total traffic upper, what would happen?

Rules:

If    Proto       Source      Destination       Target      Description

WAN

Out   *           10.0.0.0/8 *                 128 Up      Host Upload

WAN

In    *           *           10.0.0.0/8        512 Down    Host Download

LAN

Out   *           LAN net     *                 Total Up    Total Upload

LAN

In    *           *           LAN net           Total Down Total Download

Pipes:

No.  Bandwidth  Delay       PLR  Queue       Mask        Description

1     512 Kbit/s                               destination 512kb/s Down

2     128 Kbit/s                               source      128 kb/s Up

3     3500 Kbit/s                                           Total Download

4     980 Kbit/s                                           Total Upload

Best regards

Mohammed Ismail.