[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Richard Parvass" <Richard dot Parvass at aaland dot co dot uk>
 To:  "David Burgess" <apt dot get at gmail dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] console over modem?
 Date:  Tue, 19 May 2009 15:57:25 +0100
>I have a soekris hanging on the wall in the basement. Not very
>amenable to connecting a serial cable since I don't have a portable
>computer with a serial connection.
>
>I was wondering about the feasability of connecting an old Hayes
>external modem to the serial console on the soekris and then
>connecting to it via a phone line and modem on the computer. Can
>anybody tell me if this is possible or give me tips on configuration?
>I could run a dedicated phone line between the two modems (preferred)
>or connect them through the pbx if necessary.

This is something I hadn't considered before, but it's a very good
idea. Suppose the internet connection has dropped, then a connection
to the console port is very welcome, especially if the m0n0wall is
hundreds of miles away.

Given that it's a typical console, the instructions here should work
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO/serial.html

The information in this e-mail and any files transmitted with it is confidential
and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee and
others authorised to receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure, copying, distribution or action taken in reliance on its contents
is prohibited and may be unlawful.

The opinions expressed in this message are that of the sender and not
necessarily those of Aaland Limited. If you have received this e-mail in
error please notify postmaster at aaland dot co dot uk

Aaland Limited is registered in England, Company No. 3134157, VAT No. GB647457896

38 Broadmanor, North Duffield, Selby YO8 5RZ

Telephone: 0845-463-4532