[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  oneman <lists at onemanifest dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  bridged interface and bridged wireless router combo is slow
 Date:  Wed, 8 Jul 2009 23:53:37 +0200
Hi all,

To add extra security to my WLAN, I added another nic to my m0n0wall
(running 1.3b16), bridged it (non filtered) to my LAN and connected an
also bridged wireless router to it (Apple Airport Extreme, 802.11n).
This combination turned out to be very slow and I don't understand why.

- The WLAN nic itself is fine, I can reach 11.4MB/s througput when my
laptop is connected directly to it.
- The wireless router is also fine, when connected to the (non
bridged) LAN nic it also has a thoughput of 11.4MB/s
- However, when I use the wireless router connected to the WLAN nic, I
get about 5MB/s throughput. When I browse, it takes several seconds
before the page loads. There seems to be next to no data traffic
during those seconds.
- It looks like part of the packets are dropped somewhere on the path
through the wireless router to the lan, because when I have both the
wireless connection and a wired one connected to my laptop, I suddenly
get about 10MB/s through the wireless interface (OSX seems to favour
wireless) and about another 1MB/s through the wired interface.

I haven't got a clue why the extra bridge between the wireless
connection and the LAN causes this issue. Does anyone have any clues
where I could look for a solution?

Thx,

Peter