[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Mike Nichols <mike at myownsoho dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  wan bridging
 Date:  Thu, 09 Jul 2009 01:27:14 -0400
This seems to me like a really novice question, but i have to ask it
because i seem to not comprehend how to accomplish this.
I'm looking to effectively bridge my wan connection.  My situation is
this, i have a public ip block which i would like to make available by
dhcp on the LAN side, however, this would defeat the need for NAT.  I
knew this wouldn't work, but i have tried setting the WAN ip to my
provided gateway ip to no success for the LAN side.

for instance, 192.168.132.210-14/29 being my ip block allocated by my
provider and 192.168.132.209 being the gateway and i would assume
192.168.132.215 is broadcast?

my understanding after just doing some research is that the WAN address
will effectively be the public address of the router itself and all NAT
addresses under LAN.  Bridging OPT1 to the WAN does provide some
connectivity.  Running DHCP i on OPT1 i would assume could allow feeding
IPs to defined mac addresses and some DNS forwarding, whathaveyou.

I'm seeming to still need clarification on how this is actually working
at the network layers and if my physical setup is correct.  This is my
first experience with using a public ip block under one physical
connection.  Is this is correct way to do this? Are there other
topologies i should explore? at the moment, we have a switch between the
modem and public hosts / routers, as this does not provide traffic
shaping or firewall functions, it is not preferred.

Thanks (in advance),
mike--

--

 Mike Nichols