[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey at goldmark dot org>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Safari and firmware upgrade
 Date:  Mon, 17 Aug 2009 18:24:49 +0200
On 17.08.2009, at 17:38, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:

> I just did a firmware upgrade from embedded-1.3b16 to
> embedded-1.3b18 (Soekris 4801) and found that the upgrade did not
> work when I did it with Safari 4.0.3 (OS X 10.5.8, PPC).
>
> After selecting the file to upload and hitting the "Upgrade
> Firmware" button, Safari just spun its wheel.  During this time (I
> waited 6 full minutes), m0n0wall continued to function normally.  I
> eventually did "abort" the upgrade, but there really wasn't anything
> to abort.  The system continued to run 1.3b16.

The problem with HTTP file uploads from Safari 4 is that it uploads
the whole file without providing the Authorization header with
username/password (even though the user has already entered it for the
given realm). With most web servers, the server will then wait for the
end of the upload and return a 401 Unauthorized response, upon which
Safari will send the whole file again, this time with the required
header - so it works, even if it's inefficient (file sent twice).

mini_httpd (the web server used in m0n0wall) returns the 401 almost
immediately (after receiving the headers) and closes the connection,
which Safari doesn't like.

It doesn't look like this is easy to work around in mini_httpd, so it
will probably simply go in the "known issues" section on the download
page for 1.3.

- Manuel