[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Replace mini_httpd?
 Date:  Mon, 17 Aug 2009 22:34:17 -0400
On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 6:53 PM, Ralf Hesse<rh at ffpx dot de> wrote:
> Is there no possibility to increase these kiddy 128 MB RAM??

No. There are quite a few 64 and 128 MB systems out there. This
project is focused towards embedded hardware, where limited resources
is the norm.

> I think we should also have a look forward...?
> There are now standard-RAMs with at least 2 GB available...
> Do these embedded Boards not use standard-SIMMs?

No. That's not how embedded hardware works, virtually all of it has
onboard RAM. Even the new ALIX boards are only 256 MB. Which is plenty
really. It's actually impossible to exhaust 256 MB RAM with the
functionality available in m0n0wall, and extremely difficult to
exhaust 128 MB. For systems with more resources where you want to take
advantage of additional functionality that needs more resources,
pfSense is a better fit, even on embedded hardware with the new
nanobsd-based embedded.

There has been some discussion amongst the developers about changing
to a nanobsd-style way of doing things post-1.3, where the entire file
system doesn't get put into RAM, for exactly this reason. Then you
don't have to be as size-conscious since RAM consumption then wouldn't
be directly related to the size of the system on CF. But it still
remains to be determined how things will progress post-1.3.