[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Bob McConnell <rmcconne at lightlink dot com>
 To:  JP Vossen <jp at jpsdomain dot org>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] SD MythTV, more CPU needed on FW?
 Date:  Tue, 08 Sep 2009 07:30:13 -0400
JP Vossen wrote:
> I recently moved my wireless access point to a dedicated interface on my
> M0n0wall generic-pc 1.231 running on an 10 year old OptiPlex Gs+ P166.
> (Wow, I'd forgotten how *old* that box was!  M0n0wall works great,
> though the GUI is a tad sluggish.)
>
> When the WRT54GL wireless AP was directly on the LAN, standard def MPEG2
> played over MythTV perfectly.  Now that I've firewalled it (separate
> segment, non-bridged) and opened up TCP/3306 and TCP/6543-6544 (tried
> with and w/o 'frag'), playback is too choppy to watch.  It will play for
> ~2 seconds, pause for ~2 seconds, etc.
>
> I'm only using 21% of memory and CPU load is in the 0-5% range even when
> attempting to watch MythTV.  No VPNs, pretty small environment.  FYI the
> LAN and W_LAN ports are on the same IntelDual (fxp driver) card (though
> I know the packets still have to leave the card to go through packet
> filtering).  The LAN itself is a D-Link DLI-DGS-1224T "smart"
> 10/100/1000 switch, and as noted when everything was local to that it
> worked fine (since the limit there was wireless speed).
>
> While I admit the FW hardware is ancient (P166!), according to M0n0wall
> I'm still barely using it.  Does anyone think throwing hardware at the
> firewall will fix this problem?  If so, why, since CPU and RAM use are
> so low.  What am I missing?
>
> Would the latest M0n0wall beta firmware help?

The switch is more likely to be the bottleneck. Even if the NIC is
capable of full-duplex, there is no guarantee that it works well with
that switch. The first thing I would try is add a second NIC and split
the LAN and WAN subnets. You can probably get away with just a
turnaround cable on the WAN side if you don't have another hub or switch.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP