[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  JP Vossen <jp at jpsdomain dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Cc:  Bob McConnell <rmcconne at lightlink dot com>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] SD MythTV, more CPU needed on FW?
 Date:  Tue, 08 Sep 2009 15:14:43 -0400
Bob McConnell wrote:
> JP Vossen wrote:
>> I recently moved my wireless access point to a dedicated interface on
>> my M0n0wall generic-pc 1.231 running on an 10 year old OptiPlex Gs+
>> P166. (Wow, I'd forgotten how *old* that box was!  M0n0wall works
>> great, though the GUI is a tad sluggish.)
>>
>> When the WRT54GL wireless AP was directly on the LAN, standard def
>> MPEG2 played over MythTV perfectly.  Now that I've firewalled it
>> (separate segment, non-bridged) and opened up TCP/3306 and
>> TCP/6543-6544 (tried with and w/o 'frag'), playback is too choppy to
>> watch.  It will play for ~2 seconds, pause for ~2 seconds, etc.
>>
>> I'm only using 21% of memory and CPU load is in the 0-5% range even
>> when attempting to watch MythTV.  No VPNs, pretty small environment.
>> FYI the LAN and W_LAN ports are on the same IntelDual (fxp driver)
>> card (though I know the packets still have to leave the card to go
>> through packet filtering).  The LAN itself is a D-Link DLI-DGS-1224T
>> "smart" 10/100/1000 switch, and as noted when everything was local to
>> that it worked fine (since the limit there was wireless speed).
>>
>> While I admit the FW hardware is ancient (P166!), according to
>> M0n0wall I'm still barely using it.  Does anyone think throwing
>> hardware at the firewall will fix this problem?  If so, why, since CPU
>> and RAM use are so low.  What am I missing?
>>
>> Would the latest M0n0wall beta firmware help?
>
> The switch is more likely to be the bottleneck. Even if the NIC is
> capable of full-duplex, there is no guarantee that it works well with
> that switch.

I'm confused.  MythTV over wireless worked fine when everything was on
the same (LAN) switch.  Heck, it all worked fine when everything was on
the same old 10/100 *hub* that I was using until it died last month.  It
was only when I added the M0n0 into the mix that it stopped working.

 > The first thing I would try is add a second NIC and split
 > the LAN and WAN subnets. You can probably get away with just a
 > turnaround cable on the WAN side if you don't have another hub or
 > switch.

Still confused.  The M0n0 has about 7 NICs, and as previously noted the
Wireless is on a dedicated NIC/segment.  Maybe the confusion here is
that I said it's on the same card, but wasn't clear that the card is a
*dual* port NIC (IntelDual).  Both LAN (fxp2) and W_LAN (fxp3) indicate
"100baseTX <full-duplex>" in http://m0no/status_interfaces.php.

WORKED:
(LAN switch) <--> WRT54GL (OpenWRT Kamikaze r16206)
  [MythTV Backend] [MythTV Client]

Too choppy/jerky to watch:
(LAN switch) <--> [M0n0wall] <--> WRT54GL (OpenWRT Kamikaze r16206)
  [MythTV Backend]               [MythTV Client]

Thanks for thinking about it,
JP