[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Paul Dugas <paul at dugasenterprises dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Traffic Shaping
 Date:  Tue, 8 Sep 2009 19:53:23 -0400
I'm getting funny looks when I talk traffic shaping with some people

the traffic shaping on *both* ends of my ISP connection or can I
successfully manage both inbound and outbound traffic using just the
router on my end of that circuit?

Here's my setup:

box to connect to them.
* {Pub} is the 3-bit routable subnet assigned by the ISP
* [Rtr1] is the ISPs router at their site.  [Rtr2] is their router at my site.
* The ==T1== is, well, a T1 between [Rtr1] and [Rtr2]

The desire for traffic shaping is coming up in order to ensure VoIP
traffic is prioritized for my remote workers connecting to our
internal PBX.  I can grasp how outbound traffic from my PBX to the
remote phone is prioritized when that direction on the T1 is
saturated.  However, when the inbound direction is saturated, how does
my [m0n0] affect the traffic?  Does it somehow signal the upstream
routers to slow down some traffic to make room for the rest?  What am
I missing?

Or, do I need to get the ISP to setup shaping rules on [Rtr1] to make this work?

Thanks in advance,

Paul