[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "John Stoffel" <john at stoffel dot org>
 To:  Michel Servaes <michel at mcmc dot be>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] SD MythTV, more CPU needed on FW?
 Date:  Wed, 9 Sep 2009 10:32:30 -0400

>> WORKED:
>> (LAN switch) <--> WRT54GL (OpenWRT Kamikaze r16206)
>> |               |
>> [MythTV Backend] [MythTV Client]
>>

>> Too choppy/jerky to watch:
>> (LAN switch) <--> [M0n0wall] <--> WRT54GL (OpenWRT Kamikaze r16206)
>> |                              |
>> [MythTV Backend]               [MythTV Client]

Michel> If I understand correctly, in your first setup there is NO
Michel> monowall at all ? What purpose has monowall in your setup ?
Michel> (I'd suspect the captive portal... did you try without captive
Michel> portal) What are both IP ranges, I'd suspect that both are a
Michel> private range...  did you uncheck the "Block Private networks"
Michel> option on the WAN side - if so ?

I'm curious to know what the LAN side and WRT54GL side of the m0n0 are
configured for filtering, etc.

Also, can you move them to seperate cards in the m0n0 box?  Maybe
you're running into interrupt conflicts/delays, which are slowing
things down?

As a test, I'd disable any and all filtering, maybe set the m0n0 into
bridge mode between the two subnets and see how that works.

Are you seeing any errors on the interface statistics screens as well
on the m0n0wall?  Maybe you have a duplex mismatch somewhere?  Check
the stats on the Myth backend and the WRT as well, see if they're
seeing interface errors or not.

As always, simplify, change one thing at a time, and test test test.
:]  Oh yeah, write down what you change each time, god knows I've not
followed my own advice and ended up down a rat's hole of confusion
until I backed out to a known working configuration.

Good luck!
John