[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Adam Nellemann <adam at nellemann dot nu>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Cc:  Assinatura de Listas <assinarlistas at yahoo dot com dot br>, EXT dash Mike dot Bradshaw at nokia dot com, Olivier Nibart <olivier at naya dash tec dot com>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Traffic shaper "manual" (alpha version)
 Date:  Thu, 19 Feb 2004 17:33:23 +0100
Hi all,

Thanks for all the kind words (*blush*), I'm glad my little "manual"
is not only of practical use, but also a source of laughs :))

Olivier Nibart wrote:

> I think you are speaking about the bandwidth and the pipes that belong
> to one direction of the link?
>
> For example, if you have a leased line with 256Kb/s bandwidth, you can
> have 2 pipes of 220Kb/s, one for each directions

This is absolutely right, I am of course talking about the bandwidth
in either direction. I will make sure to be more clear about this!

(If you have a "nice" ISP, like mine, you should be able to set your
pipe to 232Kbit/s, for a 256Kbit/s line! But I guess this can vary a
lot, and 220Kbit/s is a good conservative value, especially if you
haven't done extensive speed testing.)

Mike Bradshaw wrote:

> suggestion for your links section;
> http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/ip_dummynet/
> this is where the traffic shaper code comes from.

This link will certainly be placed in the links section!

I can see from this "official documentation" that some further
corrections will be in order (not that I expected otherwise!)

I will (hopefully soon) do a complete rewrite of the shaper manual,
for the m0n0wall documentation project. So don't hesitate to come
forward with those comments, corrections and suggestions...

Adam.