[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "BaitFish" <holycarp00 at hotmail dot com>
 To:  "m0n0wall list" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Shaper - Pipe Momentarily Burstable?
 Date:  Thu, 19 Feb 2004 17:42:51 -0800
I've read up looking for info but haven't found an answer.  Thanks for the write up on shaping by
the way, Adam.  My situation is this.  My cable connection (Comcast) allows a higher than the normal
throughput burst of data.  Testing at 2wire.com bursts in around 10mbit while my continuous data
throughput is regulated at 3mbit.  One of the reasons I went to a m0n0wall setup is that my old H/W
firewall router was limited in throughput on the burst.  I am all for shaping but one limitation I
see in my case is that I have to give up any and all of the burst when I create my pipe/s.  I
haven't figured out any workaround.  Any ideas are appreciated.  Of course this "extra" bandwidth is
somewhat frivolous and not necessary but it's just one more thing that I like about having cable
over my old ADSL and would rather take advantage of it if at all possible.

-Bait