[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Rick Low <r dot low at computer dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Cc:  Hilton at QuarkAV dot com, mk at neon1 dot net
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] DNS Configuration in m0n0wall
 Date:  Fri, 20 Feb 2004 14:30:22 -0500
Manuel Kasper wrote:

> Hilton Travis wrote:
>
> > own connection.  With a PPPOE provided IP/DNS, m0n0wall fails to utilize
> > the PPPOE-assigned DNS Server addresses when the "Allow DNS server list
> > to be overridden by DHCP/PPP on WAN" box on the "System: General Setup"
> > page is checked.  This can be demonstrated by clearing the "DNS Servers"
>
> I checked the MPD link-up script again a few days ago, and it all
> appears to be correct. I have to assume then that MPD doesn't really
> pass the DNS servers to the link-up script, at least not for PPPoE
> connections, which means that there's nothing I can do about it - other
> than changing all notes in the webGUI that say that it works.
>
> - Manuel

Manuel,

I think there is something you can do about it -- fix your mpd.conf.

I've been trying to configure M0n0wall on a Soekris Net4501 to see how
it compares to my LEAF Bering setup. I am having the same problems with
my PPPoE connection as Hilton, despite the fact that my LEAF Bering
setup works fine. I checked the M0n0wall log files when the PPPoE link
comes up and I see this:

mpd: [pppoe] exec: /usr/local/sbin/ppp-linkup ng0 inet 64.230.94.48
64.230.254.36

There are clearly no DNS addresses in there, so ppp-linkup can't do much
with $6 and $8. However if you check your mpd.conf, it is not set up to
tell mpd to get the DNS addresses. All I know about mpd I learned in the
last hour, but I hacked your /etc/inc/interfaces.inc to include the
following two lines in wan_pppoe_configure() where you generate mpd.conf:

    set ipcp enable req-pri-dns
    set ipcp enable req-sec-dns

Now when the link comes up, the log shows something better:

mpd: [pppoe] exec: /usr/local/sbin/ppp-linkup ng0 inet 64.230.84.42
64.230.254.36 dns1 206.47.244.79 dns2 206.47.244.59

There we have the correct primary and secondary DNS servers addresses
finally. Ppp-linkup should be able to do something with this.

Unfortunately it still doesn't work and I wasn't able to figure out why.
I'm working one line at a time through your exec.php interface and it's
slow going. I tried running the above ppp-linkup command manually
through exec.php but for output I got back the HTML code for the
"execute command" page (WTF?) so I could not go any further.

If I may, I'll leave it to you or someone with a FreeBSD setup to do the
rest.

--rick

Rick Low
Aera Technology