[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  Rick Low <r dot low at computer dot org>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] DNS Configuration in m0n0wall
 Date:  Fri, 20 Feb 2004 20:49:31 +0100
Rick Low wrote:

> tell mpd to get the DNS addresses. All I know about mpd I learned in the
> last hour, but I hacked your /etc/inc/interfaces.inc to include the
> following two lines in wan_pppoe_configure() where you generate mpd.conf:
>
>     set ipcp enable req-pri-dns
>     set ipcp enable req-sec-dns
>
> Now when the link comes up, the log shows something better:

Right, that was part of the problem (but not all) - thanks! I have to
admit that I really didn't consider this a serious issue (my ADSL
provider does not assign any DNS servers via PPPoE, even when requested
explicitly with those options), so I didn't try much at all.

> Unfortunately it still doesn't work and I wasn't able to figure out why.

That's an easy one: you'll have to decrement all the $x variables in
ppp-linkup by one because the MPD manual seems to be wrong about the
parameters passed to the up-script - here's what it says:

script interface inet local-ip remote-ip authname [ dns1 server-ip ] [
dns2 server-ip ]

According to your log entry, the authname parameter is missing, so
that's probably why it didn't work. Could you check if this is indeed
the case and tell me so I can fix it for the next version?

Thanks,

Manuel