[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Gifford <jim at giffords dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Problem installing on WRAP
 Date:  Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:58:12 -0500
On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 03:37:10PM -0000, Paul Evans wrote:
> Unfortunately when I try /dev/hdc it comes up  -     dd: opening '/dev/hdc':
> No such device or address
>
> When I try to write using hdc0 is says:
>
> 320+0 records in
> 320+0 records out
>
> Surely it should be writing many more records?
>

> paul.

/dev/hdc0 isn't a normal device name for a hard disk block device under
linux.  Most likely, you're creating a normal file /dev/hdc0 that
contains the contents.  What does 'ls -l /dev/hdc0' show?

The error message about no such device means there is no hardware behind
the driver for hdc (ie, nothing at secondary bus, master position).

Is your CF-IDE adapter on the primary or secondary bus, master or slave?
The first thing you have to do is make sure the CF card is being seen by
your linux machine before you can write to it.

Try using hdparm -i on the devices /dev/hda, /dev/hdb, /dev/hdc, and
/dev/hdd and look for the drive information that matches your CF.  Then
use that device name for your dd command.  You can also do
'dmesg | grep hd' and look for your CF media in that output.  If you
don't find it this way, it isn't being recognized.

You won't need to blank the media, as dd does a direct write to the
media.

hope this helps,
jim