[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Gifford <jim at giffords dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] SLAX livecd & CF writing problem
 Date:  Mon, 23 Feb 2004 14:26:12 -0500
On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 11:07:44AM -0800, Aaron Robinson wrote:

> I am attempting to write a 20MB CF card except I am attempting to use a
> livecd. I have successfully written a CF card in my Mac G4 tower, but
> It's not convenient since I have to disconnect drives to do it. This is
> only my second attempt doing this.
>
> In a PC running SLAX, I have found the correct device.
>
> Thanks for the help!
>

> This is the dd command that I am trying.
> root@slax:/dev# dd if=/root/generic-pc-1.0.img of=/dev/hda bs=20480
> 226+1 records in
> 226+1 records out

This shows that the file was indeed written.  However, this also shows
the problem.  You want this command instead:

    gunzip -c generic-pc-1.0.img | dd of=/dev/hda bs=16k

Which is what the installation instructions say at this url:

    http://m0n0.ch/wall/installation_generic.php

> However this does not boot. Any suggestions?

The image file is compressed, and hence not bootable as it is.  You need
to follow the installation instructions, and you shouldn't have any
difficulty.

hope this helps,
jim