[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] SD MythTV, more CPU needed on FW?
 Date:  Fri, 11 Sep 2009 15:58:13 -0400
On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 10:46 AM, Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org> wrote:
> Chris Buechler wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 3:37 AM, JP Vossen <jp at jpsdomain dot org> wrote:
>
>>> Separate NICs are an interesting thought. The segments ended up

>>> half-baked idea that having them on the same card might help, but I
>>> hadn't
>>> been thinking that through.
>
>> It still gets processed the same way whether it's on the same card or
>> a different one.
>

> tested that to know for sure, and my try with some old hardware and an Inter
> single port and a Intel Dual port nic to see...

They act the same as two physical NICs, aside from sharing a PCI slot,
generally on desktop class hardware two PCI slots are going to share
the same bus, so it should be equivalent. They have unique IRQs, or
should, unless there are so many devices in the box that IRQ sharing
is needed. If that's the case, I have seen scenarios where that causes
performance problems, especially where a NIC uses the same IRQ as USB
(check system log after boot to check IRQs).