[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bobert, Tyler" <tyler dot bobert at uwc dot edu>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Captive Portal
 Date:  Thu, 17 Sep 2009 16:16:48 -0500
Hello,

I setup a network for a small dorm room building.   The internet
connection goes from the router provided by the ISP (it doesn't do any
routing functions, acts more like a modem) into the monowall.  From
there it goes to 3 managed switches, one on each floor.  Lastly, from
there it goes to each individual room.  There are almost 100 rooms in
total, and there are 8 wireless routers acting as access points in total
as well.  For security I use the captive portal.  I check each
resident's computer, and add their mac address to the pass through mac,
there is no user name and password system that I use.  The issue I had
with this is sometimes people wouldn't get connected to the internet, so
I would have to assign them an ip then use the pass through ip.  Now I
have everyone setup through the pass through mac, and the pass through
ip.  It works fine, but people are having problem with the wireless
internet.  Sometimes it lets them get out to the internet, and sometimes
it doesn't.  Is there some kind of setting in the m0n0wall that I have
to change to allow for these access points to work better?  Is there a
way I can manage these access points from within the m0n0wall?

Thanks,

Tyler