[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Tim Nelson <tnelson at rockbochs dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Captive Portal
 Date:  Thu, 17 Sep 2009 16:59:12 -0500 (CDT)

They're getting an Automatic Private IP Address (APIPA) from the 169.254.x.x range which means
they're not getting DHCP from the m0n0wall device. This could be a symptom of your network
somewhere, or more than likely, it is a symptom of Vista being a pile of garbage. There are known
issues with Vista and some DHCP servers. I've been fighting this with a few of my m0n0 and pfSense
installations. Please see the official knowledge base article here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233

Also, you might be out of IP addresses. With the size of the network you've described, if you're
still sitting on the default 192.168.1.1/24 class C network, you may have run out of IP space...

> port
> switch <--> 3 32 port managed switches <--> 5 port switch in each
> room,
> instead 8 rooms have a wireless router turned into an access point by
> turning the DHCP server off

For these locations where the DHCP server is turned off, are you plugging the uplink cable from your
switches to the AP into the LAN side of the AP or the WAN/Internet side? They *NEED* to be plugged
into the LAN side.

On your managed switches, do you have anything enabled like 'Broadcast Filtering' or 'Broadcast
Storm Filtering' or something similar? I've seen switchports with multiple AP's on them think there
was a storm and shut off access...

> All of it is Linksys equipment.  I have all default settings on the
> m0n0wall, just have things changed in the captive portal.  There is
> no
> timeout, or redirection or anything.  Once they are authenticated
> they
> are in for good unless the m0n0wall is restarted and they will have
> authenticate again.  I also get a message on the monitor connected to
> the m0n0wall saying "vr0: rx packet lost"  I am just a student worker
> that was kind of thrown into this situation and I am just trying to
> understand it.

The vr message is indicative that you're using a Via Rhine NIC. If possible, you may want to use a
different NIC, preferably Intel. They just work.

Can you give some background on what type of hardware is being used? CPU/MEM/FSB/etc?

Tim Nelson
Systems/Network Support
Rockbochs Inc.
(218)727-4332 x105