[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Mike <mike at myownsoho dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  DNS and default site questions
 Date:  Fri, 02 Oct 2009 06:37:38 +0000
Hello Everyone, happy Fall to everyone.

i have what seems to be a simple question which i seem to be stumbling
around the answers to and not understanding what's behind the curtain or
wizardry or RFC standards.

i'm interested to know why all bad url requests are being directed to the
default webpage of my apache server when the host and domain of my firewall
is defined as these.
That was probably really vague or incomprehensibly asked. When values are
set to FQDNs at the General Setup page, instead of using "local" as the
domain name, "bad" urls used for web browsing are directed to the
appropriate default virtual host in apache at the server which is defined
as the domain name of the "network"?

It seems to me that i'm simply misunderstanding this setting's function
here or i'm simply misconfiguring it. While my company's domain name is
xxxxxxx.com, i am compelled to set it at the General Setup page. Since
[most of] my servers are behind this m0n0wall, it seems as a logical
plan.
However, i'm guessing DNS is then not setup properly for values not within
this domain (at least).

I hope to discuss the reasoning for these affects, if not the reason for
these expected responses to the web browser. As all incorrect or
misspelings should be directed to the company website (or webserver) and
display a "not found" error. Which it does. But to incorporate scripts or
programs to attempt to fix these errors or make suggestions, or return
simple 404s, it seems to be not possible, or in need of better
documentation.

i would like all requests from within the LAN to handle invalid requests
locally. That's easy enough to setup and outside the scope of m0n0wall
support, but the reasoning or method of directing that traffic is. For
instance, something incorrect such as "googlec.om" or attempting to use
firefox's awesome bar does not help to fix the human error or perform a
search with terms provided (this being the human error itself) as expected.

While it seems
this can provide awareness of what domain the network or
systems are part of. Since some machines may be called
pc-02.office.xxxxxxx.com

Please stop me at any point that i'm stating -wrong- assumptions or
methodology needing to be re-defined.

thanks!!!
mike--
mike at myownsoho dot com