[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] How to block a certain website with m0n0wall?
 Date:  Thu, 08 Oct 2009 15:39:23 -0500
Rendra Basuki wrote:
> Actually I am trying to block sites such as twitter, facebook, hi5, and
> friendster since my boss said it caused lower productivity.
> Any suggestion. I tried to put firewall rules to block the IP address of
> www.facebook.oom and facebook.com. The funny thing is that www.facebook.com
> and facebook.com shows 2 different addresses when I ping it.

I am taking this back to the list, as it is handy for lost of people.

Large sites like those are NOT one computer.  Facebook actually has for possible servers, and they may move.  To filter stuff
like that, you need a real web filter.  I have used Untangle in a few
clients and it works well.  However, using it with m0n0wall can be a
challenge depending on the functions you need.  For example, Captive
Portal will not work "through" Untangle is it is a b-router and rewrites
the MAC address.

Or, you can ping each server, the do a 'whois' on the address block, and
block the whole thing, and hope it is not hosted somewhere (like
GoDaddy) with websites you need for business reasons.