[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  JP Vossen <jp at jpsdomain dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] SD MythTV, more CPU needed on FW = yes!
 Date:  Sat, 12 Sep 2009 17:44:50 -0400
Thanks again for all the clues...

Moving from the old P1 whatever to the P3 something-or-other worked!
MythTV (standard def, with closed captions) now works perfectly over
firewalled Wireless (WRT54GL using OpenWRT).  I don't know if it was a
CPU or RAM or bus or what issue, but it works now.

The process wasn't 100% smooth, because I originally tried going from
1.231 --> 1.3B18 and then got lots of crashes:

I *did* see the note on the beta page about having to first go to 1.3b7
for the generic-pc-*.img, which I am using, but I assumed that was a
firmware/disk volume thing and skipped it since I was doing a fresh
firmware install.  Oops.  (That's gonna suck for regular/non-beta users
though...)

So I re-imaged the drive to the 1.231 firmware using dd over USB
enclosure and then did everything else via the web GUI:
	1.231 --> 1.231 on new hardware (adjusted interfaces)
		= WORKED: Committed (SVN) revision 1624
	1.231 --> 1.3b7
		= WORKED: Committed revision 1625 (M0n0 tweaked config)
	1.3b7 --> 1.3b18 (Sun Aug 16 22:39:13 CEST 2009)
		= WORKED: Committed revision 1626 (M0n0 tweaked config)

I have 7 interfaces, so getting all of that moved around was a bit of a
pain, but that's to be expected.  The new hardware reordered the
interfaces (PCI bus changes I assume), and I moved some things around so
wireless is on a different dual-NIC than the LAN among other things.
But as soon as I got that layer straightened out, everything else Just
Worked!

Thanks for your help, and for such an awesome tool,
JP