[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Albert Lash <albert dot lash at gmail dot com>
 To:  rbasuki at gdincorporation dot com
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] How to block a certain website with m0n0wall?
 Date:  Fri, 9 Oct 2009 01:13:43 -0400
Hi Rendra,

The reject rule is only faster with regard to the browser's response,
not the setup. The browser's "thinking icon" will keep spinning if its
request packets are silently dropped. If they are rejected, the
browser should immediately respond back to the user saying the page
cannot be displayed.

If I were trying to do what you describe, I would use the DNS
Forwarder -> Domain Override to point DNS queries to  *.example.com to
a private authoritative DNS server which responds with a single IP
address to which access through the firewall from the LAN is denied.

Make sense?

- Albert