[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Mohammed Ismail" <m dot ismael at gmail dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Cc:  "'Mohammed Ismail'" <m dot ismael at gmail dot com>
 Subject:  Bridge - Sticky Interface
 Date:  Tue, 13 Oct 2009 00:36:27 +0200
After conversion from legacy bridge to if_bridge and modifying latest
m0n0wall beta release to remove bridge check with captive portal.

Now I could have layer2 filter while captive portal is running.

In FreeBSD handbook under  31.5 Bridging

31.5.7.4 Sticky Interfaces

If a bridge member interface is marked as sticky then dynamically learned
address entries are treated at static once entered into the forwarding
cache. Sticky entries are never aged out of the cache or replaced, even if
the address is seen on a different interface. This gives the benefit of
static address entries without the need to pre-populate the forwarding
table, clients learnt on a particular segment of the bridge can not roam to
another segment.

I guess now I don't need to have static arp entry using arp -f command which
is not working until every reboot, and needs a lot of modifying in the
arp.txt file and replacing new file then excute arp -f
/var/db/cpelements/arp.txt to have the new entry.

But is it just I can tell m0n0wall to mark bridge0 as sticky interface? Via
<shellcmd>ifconfig bridge0 sticky<shellcmd>

Or it only works with bridge members? Or it needs modification some where?

Also the maxaddr value of 100, could it be changed same way?

Best Regards,

Mohammed Ismail,