[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  David Burgess <apt dot get at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] how to block p2p programs
 Date:  Wed, 14 Oct 2009 19:59:12 -0600
On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 6:32 PM, Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org> wrote:

> There is not a good technical solution to this.  It is a game of
> whack-a-mole, and you are always going to be behind.  Better is to track it,
> and then get the person to stop.  Embarrassment, and termination are
> powerful motivators. :)

Sorry, I don't have a technical solution for this (I have to agree
with Lee, there is no good technical solution). I will throw in my two
cents though, and say that in my view it is a dangerous thing to try
to accommodate those who would have providers control the types of
traffic that pass on our networks.

If the content industry had their way, we would spend our profits and
waking hours tracking and assisting in the prosecution of
file-sharers. The harder we work to assist them, the more they will
expect from us.

Granted, there are good reasons to want to control bandwidth hogs,
like maybe you are trying to cut your upstream costs, or maybe you are
simply working for somebody that has issued the command, but as Lee
pointed out, it's a game of whack-a-mole, and my opinion is that as a
provider I have to protect my own business model, and not jump too
fast or two high when somebody comes knocking, asking me to protect
his.

db