[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] how to block p2p programs
 Date:  Wed, 14 Oct 2009 22:07:53 -0500
John Smith wrote:

> Curious how to know a user is downloading copyright information? A
> tracking feature in m0n0wall? Or other snooping program? Or just
> big/excessive bandwidth use and then assume? Some users download many
> different Linux distributions (including experimenting with m0n0wall
> etc), both standard downloads and bittorrent/p2p - so file size may not
> be an indicator on its own.  A few bittorrent programs have 'encryption'
> options to keep transfers private. What's the best way to monitor for
> such use (/abuse)?

I was assuming a demand letter from a content holder.  Out of over 100
hotels and 5 years of almost constant torrent traffic, I have only ever
seen one.  It was for the TV show Psyc, if you are interested. :)

But if you get one, and it has times, and you have logs of who was using
high ports at the time... At that point, you can warn, fire, or whatever
you want.

Personally, I will not block torrent.  (I just shape bandwidth to be
fair, regardless of type.)  But the threat of logging, and the clear
notice that you will cooperate with any industry requests (even if you
plan to fight them tooth and nail like me) will cut a lot of this stuff.

But if they demand additional logs or other "help" tracking my users,
they will pay my overtime.  There is precedent, and I charge a lot. :)

			Lee

PS:  I seed Ubuntu. :)