[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Quark IT - Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkIT dot com dot au>
 To:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>, "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] how to block p2p programs
 Date:  Fri, 16 Oct 2009 07:30:45 +1000

We have employee and subcontractor contracts that state that we will be monitoring Internet usage
and as the devices are work devices, work is to be done on them.  Limited personal use is permitted
as long as it in no way interferes with work requirements.  In addition to this, the use of work
equipment to breach copyright and/or other laws is strictly prohibited and will result in immediate
dismissal when found and proved.  We also state that if we're handed a Warrant, then we'll provide
the required information.  This way our employees and subcontractors know where they stand before
they start.

Are we draconian?  Not in the slightest.  Do we have to protect our own arse?  Absolutely.  Do I
care if an employee downloads porn after hours?  Not in the slightest (assuming it isn't any form of
illegal porn - age-related or other).  Do I care if they download copyrighted music/movies?
Definitely and if we find this is happening, they know the consequences.

Now, as to charging for providing information that takes my time to locate and format, definitely.
I'll charge my time out to whichever agency wants the information - I have no intention of not
providing it (provided the request is legal), however I will not do it for free.

--

http://hiltont.blogspot.com/

Regards,

Hilton Travis                       Phone: +61 (0)7 3105 9101
(Brisbane, Australia)               Phone: +61 (0)419 792 394
Manager, Quark IT                   http://www.quarkit.com.au
         Quark Group                http://www.quarkgroup.com.au

This document and any attachments are for the intended recipient only.
It may contain confidential, privileged or copyright material which
must not be disclosed or distributed without prior approval.

Quark Group Pty Ltd  ::  ABN 23 114 975 772
Trading As Quark AudioVisual, Quark Automation, Quark IT