[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] using common topology through captive portal
 Date:  Sat, 24 Oct 2009 17:07:49 -0500
Mike Nichols wrote:

> Though i plan to try this out late tonight, i was hoping to get some
> feedback on it beforehand.
>
> i plan to connect two offices through use of physical connections that
> must include the captive portal. What i mean is that the only way to
> connect the two locations is use of infrastructure that is using the
> captive portal. so i'm thinking of just applying pass rules and setting
> static IPs on those machines corresponding to the network outside the
> captive portal. My question is this, when using the pass through mac, what
> is actually happening? is it just routing the traffic around the portal?
> Will the packets make it through the portal, through the pass rules and act
> as usual (probably without multicast)?

Passthrough MAC is not what you think.  You still need to use a web
browser first, but you are "pre authenticated" so you never see the
login.  What you want is allowed IP addresses.  And yes, you will need
to type in a lot.  However, the "ANY - > IP on remote network" is handy,
and they will still need to log in for web surfing.

			Lee