[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Kimmo Jaskari <kimmo dot jaskari at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Spontaneous reboot of 3.18
 Date:  Thu, 12 Nov 2009 00:39:50 +0200
On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 01:21, Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Kimmo Jaskari <kimmo dot jaskari at gmail dot com> wrote:
>> My m0n0 spontaneously rebooted not long ago; the only reason I caught
>> Nov 10 19:22:41 kernel: panic: kmem_malloc(4096): kmem_map too small:
>> 34947072 total allocated
>>

> That's strange - you're running out of kernel memory. The only time
> I've ever seen that is with a lot of CARP IPs (on pfSense obviously,
> not m0n0wall, quite a while ago before we bumped it high enough to
> accommodate the max number of CARP IPs).
>
> That's not really helpful though, the only thing that tells is you
> likely aren't having a hardware problem.

That is worthwhile info right there, if you ask me. Saves me time on
having to start running memtests (and not the least having to set up
another box in the meantime since I wasn't planning on having 24 hour
downtime anytime soon. ;)

> Which leads me to think maybe ipfilter doesn't have the kernel memory
> needed for larger state tables, though I'm really just speculating.
> Does this happen to correlate with large numbers of active
> connections?

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of info on that, but I do know there
is traffic running over it that can generate lots of connections, like
bittorrent, so it's certainly not beyond the realm of possibility it
is load related. I just have no hard data on that, will have to keep
an eye on what is going on, I guess.

--
-{ Kimmo Jaskari }--{ kimmo dot jaskari at gmail dot com }--

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go
away." -- Philip K. Dick