[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Ryan Hunt <dreadlocks at gmail dot com>
 To:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall 1.3 released
 Date:  Mon, 30 Nov 2009 14:36:45 -0700
wow, cant believe ive been using m0n0wall for almost 7 years now...

Thanks alot Manuel, Ive been running the 1.3 betas for a while now in
production w/no new issues to report.. its a solid release.

Cheers,
-Ryan

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net> wrote:
> Hello m0n0wall users,
>
> after almost three years in beta, I have decided that m0n0wall 1.3 is now good enough for
production. It's basically a re-release of 1.3b18, with two fixes thrown in. No major bugs have been
reported anymore, but as always, upgrade on your own risk :)

> Major changes in this release (since 1.23):
>
> - switched base operating system to FreeBSD 6.4
>
> - consolidated net45xx, net48xx and wrap images into a single

> - switched bridge implementation to if_bridge: bridge member

> - IPv6 support (enable on advanced setup page)
>
> - firewall support for IPsec traffic
>
> - IPsec NAT-T, DPD and dynamic tunnels
>
> - countless bugfixes and other improvements
>
> If you're upgrading a 1.2 generic-pc installation, you need to install 1.3b7 before you install
1.3 (because the image is too big to fit in the MFS that 1.2 allocates for the firmware upgrade).

> If you're upgrading a 1.2 net45xx/net48xx/wrap installation, you need to rename the embedded image
to reflect your platform before you upload it (this is a one time thing only).

> Downloads:
>
> http://m0n0.ch/wall/downloads.php
>
> Full change log:
>
> http://m0n0.ch/wall/changelog.php
>
> At this point, let me say thank you to all of those who have contributed in some way or another
(by submitting code, bug reports/fixes, cash, etc.)! m0n0wall has become a mature product, and the
open source firewall software landscape has changed considerably in the almost 7 years that I've
been working on it. There are now alternatives that offer more features (sometimes at the expense of
increased resource requirements), and I don't think that m0n0wall needs to duplicate those efforts.
As time permits, I'll continue to maintain m0n0wall and keep it relatively free of bugs and security
issues, move it to new versions of its FreeBSD base operating system to ensure compatibility with
new hardware, and perhaps add a new feature from time to time.