[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Robert" <valnar at yahoo dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Future plans after 1.3?
 Date:  Fri, 4 Dec 2009 09:48:51 -0500
Now that m0n0wall is at version 1.3, I looked back at what where it started
and when it came out.  A lot has changed in six years.  Embedded processors
are more powerful now and 16Mb CF cards are practically non-existent.  We
all throw away the 32Mb cards that come with our cameras.  The original WRAP
and net4801 boards are discontinued, the ALIX boards are now the platform of
choice, and earlier this year AMD announced that it stopped development of
the Geode processor.

I think the original goals of m0n0wall were to make it as small as possible,
run from RAM and work on embedded platforms.  But the definition of "small"
has changed.  Upgrading the scope of m0n0wall to platforms with 128MB RAM
and 32MB Flash would be a better target.  I still think it should focus as a
firewall which can be run entirely from RAM, as to not cross paths with
pfSense, Untangle or other firewalls which need more muscle and read-write
access to hard drives for caching, like squid.  But that being said, there
are a couple features which could be added without breaking that rule.

For an entirely selfish reason, I'd like to see UPnP supported added.  I
don't use m0n0wall today for this very reason.  I'm forced to use pfSense
with all its bugs and inability to upgrade easily over the network.  Adding
UPnP as a feature would allow me to return.  OpenVPN and load-balancing
might also be possibilities.

What other features would people like to see?

-Robert