[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Harbert - Orangebox Networks <harbert at orangebox dot com dot br>
 To:  M0n0wall User List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Future plans after =?UTF-8?Q?=31=2E=33=3F?=
 Date:  Mon, 07 Dec 2009 20:38:48 -0200
Hi,

I agree that should be looking to upgrade to FBSD7 or maybe FBSD8 already?
What would be against it to plan the next (alpha/beta) versions with
FBSD8?
I understood that especially the wireless part will benefit from that. (I
do not have any experience with FBSD8 yet.....)

A discussion about UPnP was held here b4 also, conclusion drawn back then,
that it would not be a welcome feature in M0n0, due to its security risks,
so why change now?
I can live without UPnP, basicly the only programs who I use who need it,
are PtoP programs, utorrent for instance works fine with a rule.
For professional implementations it is in my eyes totally not needed.

I'd vote also for load-balancing, OpenVPN would be nice also.

greetz
Harbert

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 09:48:51 -0500, "Robert" <valnar at yahoo dot com> wrote:
> Now that m0n0wall is at version 1.3, I looked back at what where it
started
> and when it came out.  A lot has changed in six years.  Embedded
processors
> are more powerful now and 16Mb CF cards are practically non-existent.
We
> all throw away the 32Mb cards that come with our cameras.  The original
> WRAP
> and net4801 boards are discontinued, the ALIX boards are now the
platform
> of
> choice, and earlier this year AMD announced that it stopped development
of
> the Geode processor.
>
> I think the original goals of m0n0wall were to make it as small as
> possible,
> run from RAM and work on embedded platforms.  But the definition of
"small"
> has changed.  Upgrading the scope of m0n0wall to platforms with 128MB
RAM
> and 32MB Flash would be a better target.  I still think it should focus
as
> firewall which can be run entirely from RAM, as to not cross paths with
> pfSense, Untangle or other firewalls which need more muscle and
read-write
> access to hard drives for caching, like squid.  But that being said,
there
> are a couple features which could be added without breaking that rule.
>
> For an entirely selfish reason, I'd like to see UPnP supported added.  I
> don't use m0n0wall today for this very reason.  I'm forced to use
pfSense
> with all its bugs and inability to upgrade easily over the network.
Adding