[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Quark Group - Hilton Travis <Hilton at quarkgroup dot com dot au>
 To:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Future plans after 1.3?
 Date:  Mon, 14 Dec 2009 09:34:24 +1000

G'day Chris,

So, what happens when some malware gets installed on a PC which is allowed to open ports on the UPnP
device and then starts communicating over those?

UPnP has no place on a gateway/security device.  It is a vulnerability waiting to be exploited by
any malware author who cares to take advantage of it.  It will never, ever be used on gateway
devices in any of our client sites (including our own).

A good UPnP implementation means that the code isn't even present on gateway/edge security devices.
:)

--

http://hiltont.blogspot.com/

Regards,

Hilton Travis                       Phone: +61 (0)7 3105 9101
(Brisbane, Australia)               Phone: +61 (0)419 792 394
Manager, Quark IT                   http://www.quarkit.com.au
         Quark Group                http://www.quarkgroup.com.au

This document and any attachments are for the intended recipient only.
It may contain confidential, privileged or copyright material which
must not be disclosed or distributed without prior approval.

Quark Group Pty Ltd :: ABN 23 114 975 772
Trading As Quark AudioVisual, Quark Automation, Quark IT