[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Kimmo Jaskari <kimmo dot jaskari at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] How to put configuration file on CD.
 Date:  Fri, 1 Jan 2010 19:26:20 +0200
On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 13:20, balram ghimie <balramg at hotmail dot com> wrote:

> I am using MonoWall by CD + Floppy. Due to damage in floppy, I frequntly remove and change floppy.
I read in FAQ that it is possible to put configuration file in CD also. But looking at ISO file i
don't find " /conf.default/config.xml " . Any one can help me and show how to make CD with
configuration.
Never done it, but it seems straightforward - unpack the .iso file
contents somewhere, make the changes you need to to the file system as
above, then take the directory contents again and make an .iso out of
it and burn that to a CD. You have to do that every single time you do
anything, like make a minor change to the firewall settings, though,
seems like a major pain.

Personally, I'd strongly recommend you buy an IDE Flash module instead
(assuming the computer you are using for your m0n0 has an IDE port,
most do).  I think a 1GB costs something like $17, and it replaces
your hard drive... no moving parts, and it will last nearly forever
since m0n0 doesn't write anything to it except when you change the
configuration.

That's what I use, works amazingly well, easy to upgrade the m0n0 when
a new version comes out, no worries about a floppy going bad just when
you need to reboot...  Transcend makes the IFMs, you really should
look into it.

--
-{ Kimmo Jaskari }--{ kimmo dot jaskari at gmail dot com }--

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go
away." -- Philip K. Dick