[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] How to put configuration file on CD.
 Date:  Fri, 01 Jan 2010 15:14:29 -0600
Kimmo Jaskari wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 13:20, balram ghimie <balramg at hotmail dot com> wrote:
>> I am using MonoWall by CD + Floppy. Due to damage in floppy, I frequntly remove and change
floppy. I read in FAQ that it is possible to put configuration file in CD also. But looking at ISO
file i don't find " /conf.default/config.xml " .

> Never done it, but it seems straightforward - unpack the .iso file
> contents somewhere, make the changes you need to to the file system as
> above, then take the directory contents again and make an .iso out of
> it and burn that to a CD. You have to do that every single time you do
> anything, like make a minor change to the firewall settings, though,
> seems like a major pain.

I have done this.  You have to unpack the compressed file systems as
well.  And all you can change is the default config, and it will still
try to write to a floppy.  In other words, it will not solve your problem.

> Personally, I'd strongly recommend you buy an IDE Flash module instead
> (assuming the computer you are using for your m0n0 has an IDE port,
> most do).  I think a 1GB costs something like $17, and it replaces
> your hard drive... no moving parts, and it will last nearly forever
> since m0n0 doesn't write anything to it except when you change the
> configuration.

Yes, yes, yes.  Or even old hard drives that you "sleep" after 5
minutes.  Fact is that floppies are just not good enough.

			Lee