[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  JR <tiresias at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Ulrik Lunddahl (PROconsult)" <ul at proconsult dot dk>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] VPN
 Date:  Fri, 8 Jan 2010 12:55:13 -0500
On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 10:07 AM, Ulrik Lunddahl (PROconsult)
<ul at proconsult dot dk> wrote:

> Hi!
>

> We have been using PPTP VPN to give road warriors access to our internal network, we only allow a
few posts to be access, primary our Terminal Servers. This has been working fine for a long time.

> However some of the guys have 3G network access on their notebooks, and the 3G provider gives them
an IP address in the RFC-1918 range, so they are passing a NAT router in some way, and this brakes
the PPTP option.

> I’m thinking of trying to set up m0n0wall IP SEC -> Windows IP SEC Client, is that an option or
am I moving the wrong way ?

> What are you guys using ?

Sorry about the empty reply-- wrong button.

Anyway, I've also had problems with PPTP over 3G wireless, though it
seemed it was usually a problem of GRE being blocked rather than a NAT
problem in my experience.

My solution has been to move to OpenVPN. No problems with NAT, only
requires a single UDP or TCP port, very flexible configuration.
Unfortunately m0n0wall still doesn't support OpenVPN so I have
switched to pfSense or used a Linux server behind the m0n0wall for
OpenVPN support where required, but I couldn't be happier with the
results.

Regards,
  JR