[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  Melvin <melvin at sleepydragon dot net>
 To:  Quark Group - Hilton Travis <Hilton at quarkgroup dot com dot au>
 Cc:  Tortise <tortise at paradise dot net dot nz>, "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Is it works ?
 Date:  Tue, 12 Jan 2010 21:54:42 -0500
Quark Group - Hilton Travis wrote:
> G'day Tortoise,
> Exactly how many laptops so old that they don't have network ports have 1 * PCI slot, let alone 2?
Lots.  That was the normal mechanism for network attachment prior to the
NICs being added to the system board.  And at that point, you had to
have 2 slots to allow for anything else if you were tied to a network,
and that was the only reasonable expansion mechanism.  I've got
everything from 486 based to PIII 700 based machines in that
configuration.  I'd say that they span about 3-4 years or more in age.