[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Melvin <melvin at sleepydragon dot net>
 To:  Quark Group - Hilton Travis <Hilton at quarkgroup dot com dot au>
 Cc:  Tortise <tortise at paradise dot net dot nz>, "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Is it works ?
 Date:  Tue, 12 Jan 2010 21:54:42 -0500
Quark Group - Hilton Travis wrote:
> G'day Tortoise,
>
> Exactly how many laptops so old that they don't have network ports have 1 * PCI slot, let alone 2?
 :)

Lots.  That was the normal mechanism for network attachment prior to the
NICs being added to the system board.  And at that point, you had to
have 2 slots to allow for anything else if you were tied to a network,
and that was the only reasonable expansion mechanism.  I've got
everything from 486 based to PIII 700 based machines in that
configuration.  I'd say that they span about 3-4 years or more in age.