[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "m.ismael" <m dot ismael at gmail dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Cc:  <m dot ismael at gmail dot com>
 Subject:  Traffic Shaper Question
 Date:  Thu, 21 Jan 2010 22:44:30 +0200
Hi everybody,

I have been using traffic shaper for only limiting the download/upload speed
for each user, so I used to creat a pipe let us say 256kbps and I put mask
on distention so it will creat a pipe for each IP/ address the rule apply
for.

On the rules page I go like this

Wan incoming src.any dis.LANsubnet

Wan outgoing src.LANsubnet dis.any

This would put each user in 256kbps pipe for download and 64kbps for upload.

I know that 1st rule maches it would get applied for the host.

So if I used traffic shaper on the LAN interface instade of WAN

To limit each user at 256kbps

And in the same time limit the total download to 3MB

Can I put a rule for that on the WAN interface, what I am trying to say Is

Does traffic shaper check rules for each interface individually

In other way,

If I put some rules on LAN interface to limit the download speed for each
user at 256kbps

Can I put a rule after this rule to limit the overall download to 3000kbps
and the rule applies for WAN

Is it going to work ?

Rules :

Int.        Direction.          Src.                  Dist.
Target

LAN      Out                   any                   LAN.NET
256/kbps/DN

LAN      IN                     LAN.NET           any
64/kbps/UP

WAN    IN                     any                   LAN.NET
3000/kbps/DN

WAN    Out                   LAN.NET           any
800/kbps/UP

Pipes:

Bandwidth                     Mask

256kbps                        Dist.