[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "N.J. Mann" <njm at njm dot me dot uk>
 To:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: m0n0wall 1.3 released
 Date:  Mon, 22 Feb 2010 11:15:39 +0000
In message <59740A9A dash F4BD dash 481B dash BBB2 dash ADD35D9014C0 at neon1 dot net>,
	Manuel Kasper (mk at neon1 dot net) wrote:
> On 22.02.2010, at 11:49, N.J. Mann wrote:
>
> > Following Doug Barton's announcement[1] concerning BIND, DNS and changes
> > to the root servers, are there any plans to produce a m0n0wall 1.3.1
> > with a new version of BIND?  (Is an update actually required?)
>
> m0n0wall does not contain BIND - it uses Dnsmasq for the DNS forwarder
> feature.

I should have checked the m0n0wall documentation first shouldn't I.  ;-)

> A 1.31 version will be released soon with fixes and improvements
> contributed by Andrew White (IPv6/DHCPv6 improvements, mbmon hardware
> monitoring, filtering bridge DHCP fix etc.).

This is good to know, but I am still concerned about whether, or not, my
m0n0wall firwall will be affected by ISC's changes later this year.  In
Doug's announcement he mentions firewalls in his penaltimate paragraph:

"...  Unfortunately, although the EDNS standard has been around for a
long time there are still many "middleboxes" (firewalls, broadband
routers, etc.) that have problems with these larger responses."

So, will Dnsmasq need update as well?

Many thanks.

Cheers,
       Nick.