[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  mattmcadoo at mattmcadoo dot com
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Static IPv6 and routing
 Date:  Thu, 25 Feb 2010 15:55:31 -0800
I have a /64 block of IPv6 addresses from my ISP and am having a hell of a
time to get it working.  For the sake of example, my block is
2001:aaaa:bbbb:cccc::/64 and the gateway is 2001:aaaa:bbbb:cccc::1 (all
the info that was given by my ISP)

From my understanding of the docs it should done basically by:
  1. Enable IPv6 support
  2. On the WAN interface, enable Static IPv6 mode
  3. Assign an address to the interface  (2001:aaaa:bbbb:cccc::2)
  4. Turn on RA on the WAN
  5. Put in the IPv6 gateway (given by my ISP)
  6. On the LAN interface, enable Static IPv6 mode
  7. Assign an IPv6 address (2001:aaaa:bbbb:cccc::3 (the Suggested IPv6
Address always errors...))
  8  Turn on RA on the LAN
  9. Add a Static IPv6 route on my LAN interface using the the IPv6 prefix
and gateway.  (Inferface: LAN, Destination: 2001:aaaa:bbbb:cccc::/64,
Gateway 2001:aaaa:bbbb:cccc::1)
  10. Reboot the system for good measure.

The systems on the LAN side are able to get RA's but not able to ping or
route out.  I've manually configured a Linux box on the WAN side for IPv6
and have verified that my ISP's routing is correct.  Even though ifconfig
shows the proper address for both interfaces on the m0n0wall, doing a
Neighbor Discovery from the Linux box does not show the m0n0wall router,
just the Gateway.  I can ping6 the router from systems on the LAN side,
but not on the Linux box on the WAN side.

So now I'm left with basically two questions:
   First, am I wrong about the 10 steps above?
   Second, should Neighbor Discovery work, or is it a result of router
being misconfig'd/not working properly?

TIA,

Matt