[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Frederic Breitwieser" <frederic at woodbridgedata dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Hotspot Billing
 Date:  Tue, 2 Mar 2010 12:52:51 -0500
First, my apologies for I didn't realize hitting reply goes to the
respondent directly rather than to the list as a whole.

It's okay to suggest I'm a dunce ;-)

First, thank you for the links to the paypal classes/modules, they're going
to be most useful while putting this together.

The only connectivity we are providing is wireless - it's one system that
hopefully will spread across a noticeable geography with several types of
customers - adhoc and monthly.

After a few days of effort we have everything working except for the billing
system/paypal classes, and we just started on that.  The freeradius
mechanism works fine with m0n0wall.

I'll just share our thinking regarding why we prefer to grant/deny access by
MAC - a lot of wifi devices make entering login ID's "miserable".  It's
miserable enough to filling out a billing/account form and I figured after
we collected that data passing the user through would just be simpler - no
more "stuff" between them and their access, eating up their minutes, hour,
or whatever.

My preference for this may stem from my own inability to use a blackberry
with my shaky hands... without a full size keyboard I'm pretty much toast.

Anyway, thanks again for your help.  This list is very helpful!

-----Original Message (s)-----

I've run into problems with a hotel that provides both Ethernet and
Wireless connections.. If you pay on the Ethernet, it's based on your
MAC address. So when you go to use the wireless your asked to pay again.
I would only base it on MAC address's if you were 100% sure u would only
have one connection medium.

Login would be the best way IMO

Adam

Cutting the rest...  Wow!  Rube Goldburg comes to mine. :)  Why not just put
your payment system in "Allowed IP addresses, and a link to that
payment system on your login page?    The login in page would be, "Login
Here, or pay for an account Here."  At the end of buying an account, you go
back to http://gateway-address:8000 and use that new login.  It then
authenticates against the radius database and works for however long you
define.

All the parts are there, and you don't need to reinvent this mac stuff.

Lee